In summer the temperature goes high, very high. In this high temperature, it is very hard to negotiate daily work without exposure to direct sunlight. So today on we will see tips for skin protection from the sun for a healthy body and skin.
Sunlight: Positive effects
- It enhances our mood due to an induced level of serotonin in the brain.
- It relieves stress as walking into the sunlight with fresh air reduces stress.
- Sunlight improves sleep due to induced melatonin.
- 15minutes of exposure to sunlight provides enough Vitamin D which improves bone density.
Sunlight: Harmful effects
- Excessive exposure to the sun damages eyesight due to Ultraviolet Rays.
- In summer, due to sunlight, the temperature rises and due to this, our body generates excessive sweat. Due to this, our body loses water and salt. This leads to heat stroke which is a serious life-threatening condition.
- In summer excessive exposure to sunlight leads to Sunburn, which is painful and it also leads to Skin rashes which demand medical attention.
- Prolonged exposure leads to skin cancer. Also, skin tends to look older due to excessive exposure to sunlight.
Now we will see how to protect our body, skin from sunlight, especially in summer. These tips are will lead you to a healthy lifestyle.
First of all, avoid sunlight between 10 Am to 3 Pm as during this period sun is intense in summer and it is advisable to use an umbrella or to take shelter in shade for better protection.
Activities like exercise should be completed before. Clothing should be such that it protects major parts of the body by covering it such as Caps. Using sunscreen only will not give you 100% skin protection, so the use of protective clothing is necessary for protection.
Using higher SPF sunscreen protects the skin from the sun. SPF 30 plus is recommended and should be used every two hours. Moreover, not only in summer, sunscreen with a high value of SPF should be used in all season when you are going in the open.
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends using a sunscreen that is at least SPF 30. One important thing is that those people who are prone to “breakouts” or with sensitive skin should use “non-comedogenic” sunscreen which does not clog skin pores.
Sunglass with good UVA/UVB protection should be used to prevent damages to our eyes. The shade of the sunglasses also differs as per its characteristic. For example, Brown colour glass gives you true colour contrast, whereas grey glass gives true colour. Yellow glass gives true depth when seen through it.
During summer it is advisable to avoid hot shower as they reduce oils and moisture from the skin. After swimming it is preferable to take bath as it will remove bacteria and other irritants even if you have bathed in open water like a river or at a beach. This is essential for protection.
We should wash our face at least two times a day with a cleanser followed by toner and moisturizer.
Encourage a healthy lifestyle by having the right food. Eating habits should be changed during the summer. Those who have sensitive skin and often affected by pimples should refrain from fast foods such as pizza, burger and fried foods for protection. Avoid salty foods as salt have a dehydrating effect on the skin. They should consume green veggies and nuts. Take fruit such as watermelon, cucumber, and oranges.
Drinking a lot of water helps skin to get hydrated. Summer heat tends to dehydrate our skin. Dehydrated skin looks pale and wrinkly. Therefore it is advised to have at least two litres of water. It will flush out all the toxins from your body. Take a lot of fluids in the form of fruit juices, coconut water, green tea, buttermilk etc.
I hope that these tips will help you to stay healthy. Till next time, Take care.